Monday, December 7, 2015

Cables & Supernatural, How Do I Love Thee?

     


        This weekend I binged on Netflix and Cables until my fingers cramped; it was wonderful!  There's something about cables that just adds an elegant sophistication to any piece your working on and there's something about those damn Winchester boys, that make Supernatural so irresistible.
        Besides being beautiful and elegant cables are out of this world easy. I'm currently working on a cabled blanket/afghan/throw. I will call is a "blafgow"  for now because I have no idea what the difference is between those three. I am in love with the outcome, I plan to use this in my living room draped across my couch for cuddling and watching movies on chilly winter nights or for strategically covering  red wine stains on the couch (wink,wink). I'm just saying when you stitchin and bitchin while sippin those things happening.
        I digress, cables are super easy and I just learned there is a way to cable without a cable needle! In the past I've been know to cable with pens, pen caps,  pencils, double pointed needles and bobby pins, anything I could get my hands on to avoid spending $3.49 it costs to buy a real cable needle. When I finally overcame my frugal-ness and managed to make the luxury purchase, I found the cable needle to be just a finicky as my pens, pen caps, and pencils. So this technique should alleviate those woes.    


My current WIP (Work In Progress) Braided Seedy Cables Blanket
Official Pattern: HERE
My Modified Version: to come
            But first thing, first if you don't know how to cable at all. I want to give you a quick run down. So, cable knit is simply knitting out of order. I know you are probably thinking  "WHAT?!?! What you talking about, Willis? How could I possible knit out of order, that's blasphemy, that's SUPERNATURAL." My response is NIEN!!!! I'ts possible so listen up. You simply use your makeshift cable needle or an actual needle if you are a fancy pants and slip the allotted sticthes onto it. You will then you will either place that needle in the front or  in back of your project depending on the pattern you are using. You will then work the allotted stitches on your primary needle. Once done, you grab your needle and knit all the stitches held on that needle. Then, voila you continue knitting as regular. you can dance around, celebrate, and drink wine to the fact that you have just done your first cable! For all of my visual learners check out KnitPicks Youtube Tutorial below for in depth step by step instructions. Everything you know and could possible want to know about cables is in this video. 

             For those of your ready to go to EXPERT Knitter level 1,000 here is LionBrand's How to cable without a Cable Needle video. Now, I've watched both videos but have  yet to venture to EXPERT Knitter 1,000. I will be trying this technique on a trial swatch to see if it works for me. I will let you know about the outcome on a future post. I challenge you to try cables if you haven't already and if you want to go a step further or avoid the cable needle all together try the needle free technique, below. 


Here is a simple pattern to try your new skills on Cable-licious Ear Warmers  
Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment